[Solution] Better Understand Literacy Best
- A teacher’s ability to reflect upon his or her practice to improve student learning is a key skill that is learned over time and not easily mastered. How would (or do) you include the principles or methods of Critical Reflection into your practice or studies? Relate an incident in which you have used a systematic reflection process and what you learned from it. This incident could be an occurrence in a teaching and learning environment or another area (with a spouse or sibling, at a place of employment, etc.).
Discussion Forums will be assessed using the Discussion rubric. https://my.uopeople.edu/enrol/index.php?id=5352
1. Education – Literacy data. (2019, November). unicef. https://data.unicef.org/topic/education/literacy/#.
- Consider the data from this site, which explores literacy statistics around the world.
2. Improving adolescent literacy: Effective classroom and intervention practices. (2008). Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance. https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/Docs/PracticeGuide/adlit_pg_082608.pdf.
- Read pages 11-36 of this document to better understand literacy best practices. To effectively teach literature and writing at the secondary level, we must first know what research says about best practice, as well as the process learners have been taught for reading before they enter our classroom.
3. Teaching secondary students to write effectively. (2016). Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance. https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/Docs/PracticeGuide/wwc_secondary_writing_110116.pdf.
- Read pages 1-42 in this document to gain a better understanding of best practices in secondary classrooms, as well as today’s definitions of literacy. These studies will guide your understanding of an appropriate selection of texts and strategies in secondary educational contexts.