Frederick Douglass Essay Questions (100pts):
1. What is a narrative?
2. Is this novel a primary or secondary source? How do you know?
3. Chapter I: The Law decreed that all children born to slave women, no matter the father, were to remain slaves. How does this law benefit slave maters and relate to Douglass.
4. Chapter IV: What is a sloop (use a dictionary)? In what business is the sloop involved on Colonel Loyd’s Plantation?
5. Chapter V: To whom/what does Douglass credit his eventual freedom?
6. Chapter VI: What does Douglass realize after Mr. Aduld’s speech?
7. Chapter VII: What does the phrase “ignorance is bliss” mean? How is this phrase proven true in this stage of Douglass’s life?
8. Chapter VIII: What is “the valuation”? At the valuation, why does Douglass suffer more anxiety than many of his fellow slaves?
9. Chapter IX: How does religion change Thomas Auld?
10. Chapter X: Douglass talks to the boats on the Chesapeake Bay. What kind of things does he say to them? Why does he envy the boats?
11. Chapter XI: What happens to Douglass after the end of his narrative?
General and Turnitin (Plagiarism Software) Directions for
Frederick Douglass Essay Questions These are paraphrasing assignments. Students should use this assignment to learn how to paraphrase their work. Avoid quoting, always use citations, and answer each question in your own words, meaning paraphrase. Points will be deducted for quoting. The assignment is worth 100 points. You must only answer each question with 5 sentence. Anything less will result in an automatic a 5 point deductions per question. Be precise, direct, and straight to the point. You will earn a “0” for rambling and repetition per question. DO NOT RESTATE THE QUESTION OR REPHRASE THE QUESTION IN YOUR ANSWER, this will result in a 5-point deduction per question. An automatic 5 points deduction from each grammar error. If the grammar errors are copious (3 or more) and detracts from the question’s answer, the student will receive a zero on the question. Avoid the following phrases: “I think” or “I agree,” or any statements that reference your opinion. The assignments are not opinion related tasks. Such will result in a 5-point deduction from each question. In a MS Word document, number and retype each question. Answer each of the above questions. You do not have to write in essay format. Please answer each question in your own words and in complete connecting sentences. After you have retyped each question in Times New Roman 12 font, double space twice (enter twice) and then type the answer. Follow this format when answering each question. Points will be deducted for not following these directions. Please place the required assignment heading on your MS Word document. Please saving your file in MS Word as: FirstName_LastName_CourseNumber_Frederick_Douglass Question .